Can I interest you in a fun font?

Posted in: Uncategorized ♦ Friday, July 22nd, 2011, 11:26 am ♦ 8 Comments

I’m back from my whirlwind weekend vacation with much to share! To say the least, I was successful in my hunt for interesting fonts! Once I explained my mission to my parents, my mother (who was driving), would slow down and say, “Oh! Is that a fun font?” Hehe, that’s my good ol’ Mum! Not entirely sure what I’m doing, but more than willing to help!

So I won’t ramble on here. I’ll let you get to to the good stuff! Happy font hunting!

Drive-in movie theater. Highway 37 in the middle of nowhere.

Marengo Caves. Hand-painted goodness!

Marengo Caves. Use neon yellow and someone is bound to pay attention to it.

Marengo Caves. More hand-painted goodness!

Paoli, Indiana. Maybe monument fonts are more your style.

Paoli, Indiana. Script and Black lettering…Interesting choice.

Paoli, Indiana. I didn’t eat here. Just photographing…haha

Louisville, KY. Louisville Zoo. Entrance to see the polar bears.

Cincinnati, Ohio. This business had burned down, but left their intriguing font sign.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Union Terminal Museum. This refurbished train station is AMAZING for Art Deco (1910-1939) fonts. It was just a gorgeous place. These “push” fonts were on every door.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Union Terminal Museum. Original lettering from taxi stand directing traffic.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Union Terminal Museum. Numbers! On a trolley no less! All around fabulousness here.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Union Terminal Museum. New or old font? A friend pointed out that it looks a little like the Star Wars font…It’s that “S”!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Can I interest you in a fun font?”

1. Posted by: Daniela
    July 22nd, 2011 at 11:37 am

This is such a good idea, I love that you can find lovely fonts everywhere! My favorites are the Drive-In sign and ‘Push.’

2. Posted by: Lacy
    July 22nd, 2011 at 11:43 am

Awesome photo-font collection you got going.
    A) I learned a new word: speleothem. Had no clue what one was.
    B) Too bad Burbanks BBQ, burnt down- what a great sign!
    C) I want to go to the Union Terminal Museum in Cinci now. Such iconic Art Deco. Just looking at that photo instantly catapults you into the 20’s!

3. Posted by: admin
    July 22nd, 2011 at 11:43 am

Those are my favorite too! Shhhh, don’t tell the other fonts though! haha

4. Posted by: Eric
    July 22nd, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I’m obsessed with the barber shop blackletter treatment on the window. Great finds, Abby!

5. Posted by: admin
    July 22nd, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Yay! I’m glad someone else likes that! It was so well done and interesting! Every time someone throws the world “Ye olde” into the mix, blackletters are sure to follow!

6. Posted by: Ashley Hawkins
    July 22nd, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Love this post Abby! It’s very cool to see various examples of fonts…even for someone who usually isn’t very interested in it :) Thanks for documenting and sharing!

7. Posted by: Neena Stephen
    July 22nd, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Abby! Love this post! Echoing Ash’s thoughts…its really fun for a non design person to see signages in a new perspective and appreciate them!

8. [...] And some photos of it at Union Terminal via AbigailSteinem.com: [...]